Monday, September 27, 2010

My Cookie Baking Quest

I had the urge to make cookies, but it was bad new bears because I had no sugar left. So I sat down and though of other things I could possibly use. Brown sugar. Yummy.  So the first thing that comes to mind after I remember I have brown sugar is Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies.  I immediately got online to find a cool recipe, but everything I found I was either missing ingredients or just didn't like what was being put into it. So I set off into my kitchen on the quest to make this delicious cookie with absolutely no recipe.

After putting in the basic things, flour, baking powder and soda, oats, brown sugar, yadda yadda I get a quick taste of the batter. Delicious! Quick pop in the oven and 5 minutes into cooking my kitchen fills with the wonderful aroma of an old time breakfast that reminds me of cold winter mornings as a youngin. Once out of the oven I get some calls from the peanut gallery (the 4 yr old procookie taster).  I let them cool and she got the official first bite, "Mom! You're the best chef ever!". After this flattering proclamation I of course had to try one myself.  Holy Yummy.  I will definitely be baking these again in the near future:

Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies:

1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick of room temperature butter
1 egg

(If I had it, I would have added 1/3 cup of regular sugar and an additional egg)

Preheat oven to 350, place parchment paper on ungreased cookie sheet.  Cream butter and brown sugar (if using additional sugar I would also cream). Beat in egg and syrup. Separately whisk together flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and powder.  Slowly beat in flour mixture, then the oats. Use a regular tablespoon to dollop onto cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes. Makes 12 palm sized cookies.

**Walnuts or pecans would also be a fabulous addition to add a little crunch**

No comments:

Post a Comment